Apron Strings

The best pie ever

The best pie ever

Last week, I made the best pie ever!  Literally.  I decided to use up some of the rhubarb from the freezer and was feeling crazy enough to make pie crust instead of doing an easier crisp.  While I was getting creative with the pie crust, I broke out the new alphabet cookie cutters and set to work spelling out the only thing I could think of when making pie at nine o’clock at night: The best pie ever.

Was it the best pie ever?  Well, it was pretty good.  Gone within a couple of days and even eaten for breakfast.  I guess that qualifies it as a decent pie.

I used my standard go-to vegan pie crust recipe – yes it uses vegetable shortening, but I have yet to master making a pie crust with olive oil.  It just doesn’t work for me.  I think this as close to a flakey buttery crust as we’re going to get here.  To keep the transfats lower-ish, I opted for a fun topping of letters and stars rather than a thick crust.  Besides, the crust is really just a berry delivery tool.

7 comments

1 Jodi { 08.16.10 at 6:26 am }

Yum… pie for breakfast!

2 ciaochow { 08.16.10 at 7:18 am }

So playful and cute! I wondered if you'd cut those letters out yourself, the letter cookie cutters makes more sense. Also, I like to think the rhubarb from my yard had some part in your delicious morning pie breakfasts.

By the way, Earth Balance shortening has no transfat. Have you tried it? It comes in 1/2 cup sticks and you can find it at Hartman's and Herb 'n Spice.

3 Lana { 08.16.10 at 7:55 am }

It was totally your rhubarb for the pie! Thanks again! I still have more in the freezer, so the next pie/crisp I get baked, you'll have to come over.

I haven't tried the Earth Balance… I'm off to check the ingredients.

4 Lana { 08.16.10 at 8:02 am }

The Earth Balance sticks look good! I'm going to pick some up next time I'm out shopping. Thanks !!

5 Don (@foodieprints) { 08.16.10 at 8:25 am }

mmmm..strawberry, rhubarb, and vegan pie crust lettering ftw! :)

6 wootabix { 10.24.10 at 10:31 pm }

I read in a magazine at my doctor's office that subbing vodka for half the water can make your pie crust texture extra dreamy and easy to work with. I don't dare because I'd get drunk eating all the dough.

7 Lana { 10.25.10 at 9:39 am }

I am totally going to try it. I assume the alcohol sort of bakes off?